In a nutshell
Currently, I am a faculty member (akad. Rat) at the Department of Computer Science at the Technische Universtät Braunschweig (TU Braunschweig), as a research associate in the Algorithms Group headed by Prof. Dr. Sándor Fekete.
My main research interests are Computational Geometry, Approximation Algorithms, and Graph Algorithms. You can find most of the talks of my conference papers here including slides.
I started studying computer science at the Technische Universtät Dortmund (TU Dortmund) where I also obtained my diploma (sehr gut). My diploma thesis was supervised by Prof. Dr. Jan Vahrenhold and was titled Rekonstruktions Algorithmen für zwei-dimensionale Flächen in 3D.
After that, I started working as a research associate at the Algorithmische Grundlagen und Vermittlung der Informatik group headed by Prof. Dr. Jan Vahrenhold at the Technische Universität Dortmund. After moving with the group of Prof. Dr. Jan Vahrenhold to the Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU Münster), I obtained my Ph.D. from the WWU Münster at the seventh of July in 2014, graded by summa cum Laude and awarded by the Ph.D. award of the WWU Münster 2014.
In November 2014, I changed to the Algorithms group at the TU Braunschweig, headed by Prof. Dr. Sándor Fekete. Currently I am holding a factulty position (Akademischer Rat) in this group.
- 2010-2014: Ph.D in Computer Science (Dr. rer nat., summa cum laude) at the TU Dortmund (2010-2013) and at the WWU Münster (2013-2014)
- 2005-2010: Diploma in Computer Science (Dipl.-Inform., sehr gut) at the TU Dortmund
Selected List of Publications
Corresponding to the policy of the community of Computational Geometry, authors are listed in alphabetical order.
- SODA 2017: Zachary Abel, Victor Alvarez, Aman Gour, Adam Hesterberg, Erik D. Demaine, Sándor P. Fekete, Phillip Keldenich, and Christian Scheffer. Three Colors Suffice: Conflict-Free Coloring of Planar Graphs. Proceedings of the Twenty-Eighth Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, Barcelona, Spain, January 16-19, 2017, accepted for publication.
- JoCG: Christian Scheffer. Near-linear time medial axis approximation of smooth curves in R^3., 7(1):360-429, 2016.
- Int. J. Comput. Geometry Appl.: Christian Scheffer. More Flexible Curve Matching via the Partial Fréchet Similarity., 26(1):33-52, 2016
- ISAAC 2016: Sándor P. Fekete, Joseph S. B. Mitchell, Christian Scheffer, and Qian Li. Universal Guard Problems. In Algorithms and Computation - 27th International Symposium, Sydney, Australia, December 12-14, 2016, Proceedings
- SWAT 2016: Anil Maheshwari, Jörg-Rüdiger-Sack, and Christian Scheffer. Approximating the Integral Fréchet Distance. In 15th Scandinavian Symposium and Workshops on Algorithm Theory, June 22-24, Reykjavik, Iceland, pages 26:1-16-14, 2016.
For a full list, see here.
Other Professional Activities
I have been a reviewer for the following conferences and journals: EuroCG, ESA, ICALP, STACS, JoCG, STOC, SWAT, JMIV, CVIU, Pattern Recognition
My Coauthors by Name
Zachary Abel, Victor Alvarez, Erik D. Demaine, Sándor P. Fekete, Amin Gheibi, Aman Gour, Adam Hesterberg, Phillip Keldenich, Qian Li, Anil Maheshwari, Joseph S. B. Mitchell, Henk Meijer, Sebastian Morr, Jan-Marc Reinhardt, Jörg-Rüdiger Sack, Arne Schmidt, Jan Vahrenhold.